Watch out for your four-legged friends, there are poisonous caterpillars on the hike

watch-out-for-your-four-legged-friends,-there-are-poisonous-caterpillars-on-the-hike

This year's mild winter has already attracted the furry caterpillars that we usually encounter on walks. only in the springtime. Hairy caterpillars, when in contact with skin, affect human and animal health. Caution is never superfluous!

)

This year's warm winter has been a great prerequisite for the massive development of prelate , both pine and oak

. . While walking through the forest or park, you may encounter a hairy caterpillar spring. The scene is interesting but must be admired with caution, since the animals mentioned, although small, are very dangerous. “It is a species of butterfly whose hairy caterpillars, when in contact, have a profound effect on human and animal health.” they explained on the Dog My Friend portal. The caterpillars, in walkways that can be up to four meters in length, move from tree to tree or to the leaves they feed on, and often raise the curiosity of our four-legged friends. It may happen that our puppy, inadvertently, “tastes” our puppy while browsing the grass. The caterpillars have small burning and poisonous hairs which, when touched by human skin, cause itchy inflammation and can have even more unpleasant effects on dogs.

The increased presence of pine nuts in pine is usually seen in the springtime, especially in the Slovenian Littoral, but this year they were noticed earlier. Oak oak is preferred to attack older oaks, and pine forests can be encountered in pine forests. Track hair is very toxic. The nests are usually in the branches of the branches and on the trunk, reaching a size up to a smaller melon.

Symptoms in dog:

Contact with a toxic hairy caterpillar is very dangerous in many cases for a dog. Shortly after contact with the caterpillar, the dog starts drooling suddenly and intensely, refusing food, fever. Vomiting and (bloody) diarrhea are also typical symptoms. Within a few minutes of contact with the caterpillar, the swelling of the tongue may occur and, in the worst and most extreme cases, suffocation.

How to act?

The dog should be thoroughly rinsed with water and a mouth and a sponge as soon as possible. However, dogs may not allow this because of the accompanying pain and the burning sensation that contact with the poisonous caterpillar will cause them. In this case, a syringe (no needle) can be used to try to flush out the toxic substance in the canine sponge as much as possible. The dog is then immediately taken to a veterinarian, who will decide how to act based on the severity of the injury.

“There are years in the Vipava veterinary clinic dealt with approximately 20 cases where the dog came in contact with a dangerous caterpillar. “

“Attention, the overflow is already moving by train. Keep your puppies out of the reach of caterpillars (they may be fatal) and do not touch them yourself. “ warned on the social network in a warning to dog owners.

SOURCE: Dog my friend